[virt-tools-list] virt-install --pxe REVISIT RESOLVED

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon Nov 15 18:01:57 UTC 2010

On 11/12/2010 10:47 AM, Phil Meyer wrote:
> Pleas guide me as to where and/or who would work this bug:
>
> Fedora 12+ and RHEL6 both suffer this issue.

This was caused by the new seabios booting much faster than the old
BIOS.  Thus causing the dhcp request to run afoul of the 15 second
default delay in the 'new bridge' traffic.

By default, a new bridge on RHEL defaults to a 15 second delay before
any traffic can pass over the new bridge.

This is a 'convention' used to prevent bridge loops from causing network
meltdowns.

By setting the delay to 5 seconds, everything works perfectly.

To display the current setting:

# brctl showstp br0 | grep -i delay
  forward delay            14.99                 bridge forward
delay      14.99

To set it:

# brctl setfd br0 5

Thanks to RH support.
Great response on this one, and saved our bacon!