[virt-tools-list] [RFC] virt-what as a reusable library

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Wed Nov 17 18:54:25 UTC 2010

All:

I am working on a project which would like to know if the current
machine is a guest, and if so what type of guest it is. This
functionality is currently available in virt-what[1]. The current
implementation is a bash shell which invokes a C libary. Our project
would be interested in seeing this functionality provided as a library
(C or python is preferred). I sample python patch (probably not the
best) is attached.

Would other folks see value in a library such as this? I am concerned
that if projects each take different takes on this functionality by
copying the code we are likely to diverge with un-desirable results.

-- bk

[1] http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-what/