[virt-tools-list] restoring backup from an LVM Guest OS on KVM Lucid

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 05:35:14 UTC 2010

On 10/04/2010 04:24 PM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I am searching for some information.
> I used virt-manager to create 4 guest OS on KVM.
> Let us call this server A
> I am running another server where KVM is running call this server B.
> Is is some how possible guest running on server A can be transferred to B
> so that I can run it and do not have to do any extra work.

Hi Tapas,

You're looking for what's called "Migration", where you transfer guests
between hosts.

This works quite well, *but* you have to set things up for it before
hand.

The guest image files need to be running in a shared storage location,
that both "server A" and "server B" have access to.  For example, using
NFS or iSCSI.

As you're using Ubuntu, the Ubuntu wiki may have info (I haven't
checked), and the HowtoForge.com might be useful too:

   http://howtoforge.com/howtos/virtualization/kvm

As a thought for the future, I'm presently creating documentation for
areas like this that need to be done better, but haven't gotten up to
the migration stuff yet.

Does that help?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift