[virt-tools-list] restoring backup from an LVM Guest OS on KVM Lucid

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 06:41:02 UTC 2010

Thanks for the detailed instructions.
Yes I am very comfortable with command line :)

If at all in future my server crashes
I can not afford time to restore the VM.
So I want to maintain alternate setups working 24x7
So to understand the complete thing I am doing all this that I asked.

I have created all this on command line only
but one thing which I am not clear with is what I am mentioning below

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Justin Clift <jclift at redhat.com> wrote:

> It sounds like you're going to be doing a "very manual" migration,
> rather than using the automated tools.
>
> Yes very right it would be a very manual migration.

> Guests have pretty much two components:
>
>  * Disk images (LVM, images files, etc)
>  * XML definition for the guest, containing relevant info
>
> Are you comfortable using a command line?
>
> If so, with the disk image part of things, which you mentioned you have
> in LVM, I'd probably look at manually creating the LVM partitions on
> "server B", matching the size of the partitions on "server A".  Then
> use "dd" or a similar utility to copy the data to the new partitions.

Right I did create an LVM manually but inside the LVM
how do you make 2 filesystems co exist.
Meaning
when I do an lvscan I get the following on command prompt

lvscan
  ACTIVE    '/dev/nintendo/lvm1' [100.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE    '/dev/nintendo/lvm2' [150.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE    '/dev/nintendo/lvm3' [50.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE     '/dev/nintendo/lvm4' [100.00 GiB] inherit

Now note in above four  LVMs four different Guest OSeS are runninng.
I had created four LVMs in volume group nintendo on command line but
I did not created any filesystem in them.
This part was taken care by virt-manager when I installed the guest on it
using virt-manager.

So swap and ext4 both do exist in all four lvms above but how  is that done
manually that is one thing I want to know.
Is it like if I want to have a Guest OS in 10GB and 8GB to root device and 2
GB to swap then
I need to use lvcreate with 8GB and then extending that to 2 GB swap so that
total becomes 10.
Is that going to work?
Or I need to do some thing extra.
I think vmbuilder is the tool that does this but I am unaware of how that
script works.
If some one can point me to exact code or script then I will be able to do
this.