[virt-tools-list] restoring backup from an LVM Guest OS on KVM Lucid

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 08:46:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 12:11:02PM +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Right I did create an LVM manually but inside the LVM
> how do you make 2 filesystems co exist.
> Meaning
> when I do an lvscan I get the following on command prompt
>
> lvscan
>   ACTIVE    '/dev/nintendo/lvm1' [100.00 GiB] inherit
>   ACTIVE    '/dev/nintendo/lvm2' [150.00 GiB] inherit
>   ACTIVE    '/dev/nintendo/lvm3' [50.00 GiB] inherit
>   ACTIVE     '/dev/nintendo/lvm4' [100.00 GiB] inherit
>
> Now note in above four  LVMs four different Guest OSeS are runninng.
> I had created four LVMs in volume group nintendo on command line but
> I did not created any filesystem in them.

These are disk images.  They contain partition tables, filesystems,
logical volumes etc inside them.

> This part was taken care by virt-manager when I installed the guest on it
> using virt-manager.

Actually it was done by the guest.  The guest saw the host LV as a
big, empty hard disk, and it put its own partitions, filesystems and
so on in there.

>From the point of view of the host however these are just big blocks
of binary data.

What you need to deal with disk images is libguestfs:

http://libguestfs.org/

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/