[virt-tools-list] KVM Live Migration

Mike Hall MHall at astc.nt.gov.au
Thu Oct 7 00:06:42 UTC 2010

> Are the hosts "compatible" ?
> eg. what hardware are they running - are there issue with compatibility between then CPUs -eg. does host A have a newer cpu (with newer features) than host b ?

The machines are only compatible to the extent that both their CPUs support vtx. When we go into production both machines will be identical.

One is a Dell PowerEdge 840 with Intel Xeon Quad Core (X3220 @ 2.4GHz).
The other is a HP Compaq dc7800p with Intel Core2 vPro (E8400 @ 3.0GHz).

The guests are all using only one vCPU.

I have solved the lost-networking-on-migration issue - there was no bridge forwarding in iptables on second VM host.

The reboot-on-migration issue remains however, and occurs both with CentOS 5.5 and Win7 guests. This is not a total show-stopper for us as in our environment we can afford to shut machines down and restart on another host, but live migration would be a nice feature.

Side Note: Since the majority of those answering my questions on this list and the libvirt-users list are RedHat staff, thought I would point out that while we're testing on CentOS, we have actually purchased 5 RedHat subscriptions which are yet to be activated.

Thanks again