[virt-tools-list] Live migration of iscsi based targets

Gildas Bayard gildas.bayard at hds.utc.fr
Wed Oct 27 09:10:25 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm using libvirt and KVM for a dozen of virtual servers. Each virtual
server's disk is an iscsi LUN that is mounted by the physical host blade
which runs KVM.
Every thing works fine at that stage for about a year. Both the servers
and the blade are running ubuntu server 10.04 LTS.
I've been trying live migration for a while but it was not working, at
least with my setup, on previous versions of ubuntu (actually
virt-manager was showing the VM on the target host but the machine
became unreachable by the network).

Anyway for some reasons it's working now. But there's a big pb: let say
I use 2 blades (A and B) to host my VMs. If I start a VM on blade A and
live migrate it to blade B everything is fine. But if I migrate it back
to blade A awful things happen: at first it's ok but sooner or later the
VM will complain about disk corruption and destroy itself more and more
as time goes by. Oops!

My understanding is that blade A got it's iscsi disk cache up and
running and that when the VM comes back, blade A has no way to know that
the VM got its disk altered by its stay on blade B for a while. Hence
the corruption.

Am I getting this correct? Should I switch to NFS "disk in a file"
instead of using iscsi?

Sincerely,
Gildas