[virt-tools-list] Live migration

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Thu Sep 2 00:08:41 UTC 2010

On 09/02/2010 01:59 AM, Mike Hall wrote:
> We've been working on the assumption that KVM live migration would require the use of a clustered filesystem such as GFS2.
>
> However this page from the Virtualization Guide appears to suggest that either iSCSI or NFS storage would also work:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtualization_Guide/chap-Virtualization-KVM_live_migration.html
>
> So is live migration of VMs on KVM possible using iSCSI or NFS storage without any type of clustered filesystem?

What you need is shared storage i.e. storage that can be mounted on the
source system before the migration and on the target system after the
migration. A clustered filesystem is only necessary if you use a file based
storage pool and want to keep that mounted on both system at the same time.

I've seen patches on the mailing list though that seem to make it possible
to migrate even with non-shared storage but that may only work in a
non-live context though unfortunately.

Regards,
   Dennis