[virt-tools-list] [RFC] enable direct interface selection

Gerhard Stenzel gstenzel at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 6 11:19:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 13:14 -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Unfortunately these are the caveats that scare me from a UI
> perspective.
> We want to prevent users shooting themselves in the foot, as much as
> possible. Having an option in the UI like 'Eth0 (direct)' certainly
> doesn't sound like an option that prevents VM communication with the
> host machine. And the fact that it requires zero extra config on the
> part of the user is only going to make it seem like a more tempting
> option, when for many people this is definitely not what they will
> want.

agreed

> There are a few things we can do to prevent its misuse.
>
> 1) Some better name in the UI than 'direct'. Unfortunately I can't
> think
> of one. Maybe just use 'via macvtap' or something: doesn't exactly
> make
> for good UI, but I'd rather have bad UI than misleading UI.

"macvtap" seems fine to me. people who want that will know what it
means, others will probably stay away

> 2) Don't offer the 'direct' option in the New VM wizard, only allow
> the option in the VM details wizard and addhardware wizard.

ok

> Should be simple
> to just add an extra flag to populate_network_models (also
> show_manual_bridge is unused and can be removed).

ok.
do you want me to remove show_manual_bridge as part of the next patch
version?

> If users want to use
> vepa at install time, I have no problem telling them to drop into the
> 'Customize before install' dialog and tweak it there.

sounds good

> 3) When the user selects 'direct' mode, we should show a warning. I
> think we only need to unhide a warning icon with a tooltip that
> briefly
> explains this may prevent guest to host network communication without
> extra configuration.

I would need some more hints with this warning icon.

--
Best regards,

Gerhard Stenzel,
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen