[virt-tools-list] Best way to backup my VMs

Decker, Schorschi schorschi.decker at bankofamerica.com
Tue Apr 12 16:37:44 UTC 2011

Correct, that is what we often call in virtualization... a crash consistent state.  This is usually what a VM backup is really, is a crash consistent backup.  Snapshots on active VMs vary according to the Virtualization Platform design, and unless you 'qualify' the file system state against memory state, which is transitionally costly, you have a true gap.  Thus, transactional IO is lost, that is in memory, true that for database systems this can be especially painful.  But most of the time, real-time systems not-withstanding, a crash consistent state, today, is sufficient.

Schorschi