[virt-tools-list] Best way to backup my VMs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 19:07:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 05:50:37PM +0200, Frédéric Grelot wrote:
> An other method to profit from virtualization-enabled server would be to take the following actions :
> -inside guest : turn of server application
> -inside guest : unmount data disk
[...]
> -inside guest : remount and restart server application

Most guests support some concept of freezing the filesystem which is
like this but far less disruptive.  See for example:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb968832%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
http://lwn.net/Articles/287435/

Also the new virt agent will be able to implement these interfaces
using some sort of upcall from the host.  It's not actually
implemented yet AFAIK.

Rich.