[virt-tools-list] Introducing: virtlib library

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 20:38:33 UTC 2011

On 04/14/2011 02:05 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> The goal of the virtlib library is to extract from Virt Manager and
> Virt Manager TUI the shared business logic and package it separately
> as a reusable library of code.
>
> This first patch set creates the library's package structure and
> defines the first shared business object: the Hypervisor model.
>
> A concrete implementation, KvmHypervisor, interacts with libvirt
> and provides the source for information presented by both version of
> Virt Manager to the user as well as enable controlling networks,
> storage pools and domains.
>
> Future enhancements will provide the means for retrieving physical
> storage details and other information needed by Virt Manager.

Please excuse the double response.

So I've scanned through the code briefly, but I'm a bit confused. Where
is this heading? Can you give a provide an explicit example of:

1) Functionality that is duplicated between vmm and vmmtui
2) Problems that prevent vmmtui from just reusing the relevant vmm code
3) Proposed solution

Please be as specific as possible.

In fact it might be best if you can find a way to break out a small
simple piece of the shared functionality, and provide patches with the
new code, as well as converting vmm and vmmtui to use it, so the end
direction is apparent and the interfaces can be evaluated against real uses.

Thanks,
Cole