[virt-tools-list] virt-manager, vmware

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 17 17:26:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 09:50:35AM -0700, Jason Helfman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans in supporting connecting to a vmware (ex. esx)
> hypervisor, as XEN and KVM are supported now in the virt-manager
> software?

The issue that stops this happening is getting access to VMware.
Although VMware have a 60 day trial, it also requires:

 - a free physical server

 - a spare hard drive

 - > 2 GB of RAM

 - a Windows / MSDN license to run vSphere

 - a Windows VM on another machine for running vSphere

That's quite a lot to ask if you don't have VMware already.  I myself
had VMware ESX 4 running for a while (licensed version, not the 60 day
trial) but I eventually recycled that server to run KVM.

Patches are definitely accepted if you have the required bits and
skills.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/