[virt-tools-list] vm fails to boot, need to modify guest registry

Malte Starostik lists at malte.homeip.net
Mon Aug 22 22:18:27 UTC 2011

Am Montag, 22. August 2011, 19:07:29 schrieb Kenny Armstrong:
> Nope, I tried changing disk(0) to disk(1), then both rdisk and disk to
> 1, then just rdisk by itself.  It's the damnedest thing, I've never seen
> this before.
>
> It happened to two servers, one running RHEL 6 as a host, and the other
> Scientific Linux 6 as the host.  Both on the same day.
>
> On 08/22/2011 12:55 PM, Kenny Armstrong wrote:
> > I'll give that a shot.  Someone else suggested changing the disk order
> > in the xml file, but when I run guestfish on each disk, the order is
> > already correct in the xml file.
> >
> > I'll dig into the boot.ini idea.

Sorry, I never used guestfish, butI suppose you can use it to copy out that
servers System hive (%SystemRoot%\system32\config\System{,.log} IIRC) to
another Windows system.  There you could mount that hive, edit it and copy it
back into the broken installation.
If that fails, some combination of loop mounting the VM's storage with the
appropriate partition offset and ntfsprogs should do.

HTH,
Malte