[virt-tools-list] Would this suffice to backup a local vm image?

Kenneth Armstrong digimars at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 14:35:12 UTC 2011

It will be safer when it is shutdown.  That's what I was intending.

Right now, I'm just asking about local storage (from a hard drive that
the host is on, where the original image is stored, to an external USB
hard drive).  I tried this out, and it seemed to work fine.  I would
just copy the backed up disk image to /var/lib/libvirt/images and edit
the host's xml file to reflect the new storage location, and bring it
up in virt manager.

I would definitely use backup software from within the guest for
primary back ups, I was just trying to find another avenue as well by
utilizing the guest vm's inherent portability of it just being a
couple of files that constitute the vm.

I did try this with virt-clone, and it worked out well, since the
intent was to backup the whole guest image.

-Kenny