[virt-tools-list] question about clustering

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 17 14:40:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:33:41AM -0500, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
> Ok, thanks Daniel, that makes FAR better sense.
>
> Now for a stupid question:  Since the cluster suite has to manage the
> vm's (as far as starting, stopping, migrating), if I were to log into
> a vm, then shut it off, will the cluster suite know that it was an
> intended shutdown or will I have to always power off my vm's through
> clusvcadm?

I'm not actually sure, but I have a feeling that it would probably
think the VM failed & try to perform failover / HA restart. So it
is probably safest to use clusvcadm to start/stop VMs.

In theory it is possible for clustersuite to listen for various
libvirt events & detect crash vs normal shutdown, but I don't
think it does that.

Daniel