[virt-tools-list] virt-manager remote connection woes

Malte Starostik m-starostik at versanet.de
Sun Feb 20 14:38:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've been using virt-manager (with KVM) for some time, using SSH connections.
For several reasons, I wanted to try the other alternatives, but nothing
really worked out.  Now I'd really love to get things running nicely, but I'm
at a loss as to where to start looking.  I'll list the problems I'm
experiencing in the hope I'm not alone and/or could get some clues about what
might be wrong.  I've tried the whole thing with multple libvirtd servers and
virt-manager clients.  FWIW, the problems are the same no matter if client and
server are on the same machine or really remote.  I gather some or even all of
these issues might be in either virt-manager or libvirt, but I really don't
know.  The lowest common denominator is that all machines are running Gentoo
Linux, so maybe it's even just a packaging fault?

SSH
As stated above, it's been my choice for a while.  It's easy to set up,
although I'm not too happy about pubkey auth for root on the target.
PolicyKit might come to help though (?). Anyway, when using SSH, the ssh child
processes are never terminated unless and until manually killed.  100%
reproducible.  Even after killing them, the corresponding nc process on the
server keeps running.  This results in a DoS situation once libvirtd's client
connection slots are exhausted.  This happens regardless of how the connection
is (supposedly) closed: manual disconnect from virt-manager, regular or
forceful termination of virt-manager, same outcome.  This has happened ever
since I've started using the tool, maybe around 0.8.3 (?).  Still happens with
0.8.6, guess I should've reported this as a bug by now.

SASL
Given that there is a Kerberos setup at my disposal, I figured single sign on
might be nice, so I tried.  Works great on a first glance!  But after varying
amounts of time, virt-manager deadlocks.  Sometimes it works for some hours,
sometimes it locks up right after connecting.  Creating a new virtual machine
is almost impossible, but does work after trying a few times - lockups happen
at inpredictable stages of the wizard.  Just keeping virt-manager's main
window open with an established connection will freeze it sooner or later.
FWIW, same applies to digest-md5 authentication.

TLS
Tried this just to make sure.  If you already have a PKI, this looks like a
good choice, although I really don't like the hardcoded paths for the client
stuff.  There was no /etc/pki dir on my machines, but if there was, file names
like cacert.pem and client{cert,key}.pem sound rather ambiguous in a system-
wide location.  It doesn't allow for per-user auth this way.  Anyway, assuming
configurability on this part is going to come - the same deadlocks I've seen
with SASL also happen with TLS :(

One more note on SASL/GSSAPI: once it's turned on for QEMU,  virt-manager can
only connect to it when using SASL or TLS for the libvirtd connection.  For
local connections it tries to get a service ticket for vnc/localhost istead of
using the FQDN, with SSH it wants to tunnel VNC over SSH, breaking Kerberos as
well.

I'd be glad to get some hints for debugging especially the deadlock problem.
Kind regards,
Malte