[virt-tools-list] virt manager migration option greyed out on Ubuntu 10.04 server edition

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 06:27:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 10:52 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> I am testing server migration on a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server
>> edition.Where I have virt-manager installed.
>> How ever when I choose a VM and try attempt for migration of hot vm I
>> see the option of migration greyed out.
>> Is this feature not supported currently in virt-manager?
>
> Do you have (at least) two open connections in virt-manager?  My
> recollection is that virt-manager insists that you already be connected
> to both source and destination libvirt connections before it will
> un-grey the migration option, because the migrate dialog box only allows
> the destination from a drop-down list formed from all currently open
> connections besides the source.

Oh I see,no I do not have a second connection open currently.In fact
that is not possible in my case.

Here is my situation

I have a production environment where I am having 4 Guest OS running
on a Linux server which uses kvm.
These OS are in an LVM based setup.I want these Virtual Machines to be
in a vmdk format also.Some people would be given these vmdk files to
do experiments with these vmdk  which they  might be using in a
vmware environment (or it can be Xen too).But this is going to be
different from my production server and I would not have a control on
that environment.

So the idea that came to my mind was if  in the option of migration  I
 get a vmdk file of these hot virtual machine that would be a good
thing to go on.How ever based on the discussion up to here it is
currently not possible the way I wanted.

The production Virtual Machines will still keep running on kvm server
but the VMs on which experiments would be done would be of type
vmdk.Which would be an uncontrolled environment.

How ever since you mentioned an active second connection (which would
not be possible for me)
let me know if you have any other suggestion to proceed with this type of thing.

An idea which came to my mind was to use qemu-img to get vmdk file of
these hot virtual machines.

Here is output of lvscan

 ACTIVE            '/dev/abcd/lvm1' [100.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/abcd/lvm2' [150.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/abcd/lvm3' [50.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/abcd/lvm4' [100.00 GiB] inherit

Now suppose /dev/abcd/lvm4 is the virtual machine with which I am
going to start this experiment.I can shutdown the production VMs for
some time to do this.

So is the following way correct

qemu-img convert -c -f raw -O vmdk /dev/abcd/lvm4 /backup/lvm4.img

 or it will affect the lvm4 on kvm server 1.

I do not want the VM running on original server to at all loose its
any of the content or actually get modified,but also at the same time
have a vmdk file for each of the Guest OS on kvm.Which can be created
from virt-manager or some thing like that (if possible).
But before I proceed with this I would like to make sure that this
goes in correct direction hence asking here.

--
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com