[virt-tools-list] what does virt-v2v check for in a multiboot os?

Kenneth Armstrong digimars at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 15:02:21 UTC 2011

I've been trying to use virt-v2v to convert a Windows Server 2003 VM.
This VM was one that was converted to a VMWare image that apparently
had a previous Windows installation on it that is no longer being
used.  However, I keep getting the message:

virt-v2v: multiboot operating systems are not supported by virt-v2v

So I followed the instructions here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888023

Rebooted, ran virt-v2v again and got the same error message.

So, next I installed the Recovery Console, ran fixboot to write a new
bootsector and tried again, got the same error message.

Figuring that virt-v2v sees the Recovery Console as a new OS, I then
followed these instructions for deleting the recovery console here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216417

I then used an ISO image to boot my VMWare image and ran the Recovery
Console that way, again running the fixboot command.  I am now
attempting the virt-v2v process again.  It sucks though because it
takes 3 hours over a fast gigabit network to do the transfer, and the
image is only a 45G disk image that is using the thin provisioned
VMWare disk format.

I'll follow up with how this new run goes, but what is virt-v2v
checking for as another OS?  I would have liked to keep the Recovery
Console installed, as it is something rather handy on a Windows
server.

Thanks.

-Kenny