[virt-tools-list] what does virt-v2v check for in a multiboot os?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jan 26 14:27:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:15:12AM -0500, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
> Well, I uninstalled the recovery console because of that reason.  It
> shows up in the boot.ini file and gets its own boot loader.  But even
> after the removal of the recovery console, it fails.  I assume it's
> because I had two partitions on the vm, because after I deleted the
> (empty) second partition, it was able to work with it.  But again,
> deleting other partitions on systems that have important data on them
> won't work in a production environment.

libguestfs doesn't look at boot.ini.  It looks at the partitions
and finds the other OS.

> How would I do that with virt-inspector?  I see that I can use
> --connect if using libvirt, but the vm is still on esx, would I just
> use the esx uri?

I think you have to copy the *-flat.vmdk file over (which is just a
raw disk image despite the name).  virt-inspector, guestfish etc will
work on it directly without any further conversion necessary.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top