[virt-tools-list] [python-virtinst 2/2] virt-install: Create OS dict from libosinfo

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Mon Jul 25 15:40:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/01/2011 04:32 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
>> From: "Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)" <zeeshanak at gnome.org>
>>
>> Issues:
>>
>> * Some info is still hard-coded
>>
>> * We lose the following information:
>>   * distro
>>   * sortby
>>
>> * I get the following error from pylint:
>>
>>   E: 25: No name 'Libosinfo' in module 'gi.repository'
>>
>>   Apparently pylint doesn't know about how introspection works.
>>
>> * libosinfo is not yet in a stage that we can add a dependency on
>>   it so this patch must not be merged into git master yet.
>> ---
>>  virtinst/osdict.py |  401 +++++++++++++---------------------------------------
>>  1 files changed, 100 insertions(+), 301 deletions(-)
>>

> Any idea if gobject introspection is in RHEL6? If it isn't, what would
> it take to get libosinfo + python bindings in RHEL6?
>
> I'm afraid of deleting the existing OS_TYPES data if we won't ever have
> libosinfo bindings in RHEL6, since if RHEL5 is any indication we will be
> rebasing python-virtinst for quite a few RHEL6 releases, and a hard
> dependency on libosinfo could cause pain later.

  I think I need to clarify something: My only interest in libosinfo
is to get the OS detection working in virt-manager. TBH, I am only
trying to do this through libosinfo because you suggested so. So I'll
now get back to my origin task. Once I've got something demo-able
working, I will put it in a branch (perhaps on my own cloned repo) and
point you to it. I will try my best to keep it easily mergable but I
really won't get into distro issues etc.

> Would be nice here to have a comment for each entry indicating what
> device type it maps to in the guest XML, it was a bit more clear before.
> Example:
>
>   # virtio network
>   "http://pciids.sourceforge.net/v2.2/pci.ids/1af4/1000": {
>       "model" : [
>               (support.SUPPORT_CONN_HV_VIRTIO, "virtio"),
>       ]
>   },

  Sure!

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)