[virt-tools-list] Fwd: virt-manager over SSH and firewall

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Jun 4 15:37:02 UTC 2011

Let's keep this on the mailing list, because the archives of the list
may help others having the same problem in future.

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 09:50:17PM +0200, Ruzsinszky Attila wrote:
> I installed the nc command on firewall.
[...]
> Why is this better than the double ssh without nc (except the
> shorter typing)?

Presumably the less typing.  I don't remember the exact details, but I
think it's the way that is recommended in the ssh manual page.

> > Anyhow, forget about virt-manager.  What does virsh say when you run a
> > few simple virsh commands with the -c option?
> Where do I have to use virsh command?

Instead of using virt-manager, on the same machine that you would
run virt-manager, run virsh instead.  eg:

  sudo virsh -c qemu+ssh://M1/system list --all

The point about using virsh is that it's much closer to the metal, and
you'll get to see any error messages or warnings that ssh throws up.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v