[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo] Add Windows OS metadata

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 16 19:14:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 07:49:12PM +0300, Zeeshan Ali wrote:
> From: "Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)" <zeeshanak at gnome.org>
> +  <os id="http://microsoft.com/win2k8">
> +    <short-id>win2k8</short-id>
> +    <name>Microsoft Windows Server 2008</name>
> +    <version>6.0</version>
> +    <vendor>Microsoft</vendor>
> +    <upgrades id="http://microsoft.com/windows"/>
> +  </os>
> +
> +  <os id="http://microsoft.com/vista">
> +    <short-id>vista</short-id>
> +    <name>Microsoft Windows Vista</name>
> +    <version>6.0</version>
> +    <vendor>Microsoft</vendor>
> +    <upgrades id="http://microsoft.com/windows"/>
> +  </os>

You need to expose the product variant field somewhere, else there is
no way to distinguish between these two operating systems.  IIRC for
W2K8 this field contains "Server" and for Vista it contains "Client".
If you have an existing Windows guest, run virt-inspector on it to
display the product variant from the registry.

Product variants are also useful elsewhere.  In virt-inspector, we use
this field to distinguish different spins of RHEL (like Red Hat
Desktop vs. the regular Server spin).

http://libguestfs.org/virt-inspector.1.html#_operatingsystem_
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#guestfs_inspect_get_product_variant

Rich.