[virt-tools-list] virt-manager 0.8.2 local ISO and PXE boot install option greyed out on 2.6.32.27 pv-ops Dom0 kernel

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 19:06:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/01/2011 03:54 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just installed a pv-ops Dom0 2.6.32.27 Kernel on a 64 bit non VT
> machine.
> > Following instructions here
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xen4.0
> > for 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04
> >
> > apt-get install bcc bin86 gawk bridge-utils iproute libcurl3
> > libcurl4-openssl-dev bzip2 module-init-tools transfig tgif texinfo
> > texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-recommended texlive-fonts-extra
> > texlive-fonts-recommended pciutils-dev mercurial build-essential make
> > gcc libc6-dev zlib1g-dev python python-dev python-twisted
> > libncurses5-dev patch libvncserver-dev libsdl-dev libjpeg62-dev iasl
> > libbz2-dev e2fslibs-dev git-core uuid-dev ocaml libx11-dev bison flex
> >
> > apt-get install gcc-multilib
> > apt-get install xz-utils
> >
> > make xen
> > make tools
> > make install-xen
> > make install-tools PYTHON_PREFIX_ARG=
> >
> > I did not do make install-stubdom.
> >

> > It is a Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 amd64 bit version.
> > Then as  mentioned here on this guide
> >
> http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/virst-installvirt-manager-at-xen-4-0-rc8-2-6-32-10-pvops-dom0-on-top-ubuntu-karmic-koala-server/
> > (I did not follow the above guide strictly)
> >
> > Commented out (xend-unix-server yes) in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp ,
> > here is my xend-config.sxp
> > http://pastebin.com/M8CfrqBc
> > Then  exported variable  VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI=”xen:///”
> > in root’s .bashrc.
> > Then :-
> > # apt-get install ubuntu-virt-server ubuntu-virt-mgmt
> >
> > Now when I open virt-manager the option to install from Local ISO or
> > PXE are greyed out.
> > virt-manager version is 0.8.2
> >

> > Let me know if there is any possibility of improvement so that I can
> > get the option of install from Local ISO here.
> >

> Can you please provide the output of virsh --connect xen:/// capabilities

Here is the output

virsh --connect xen:/// capabilities

<capabilities>

  <host>
    <cpu>
      <arch>x86_64</arch>
      <features>
        <pae/>

      </features>
    </cpu>
    <migration_features>
      <live/>
      <uri_transports>
        <uri_transport>xenmigr</uri_transport>
      </uri_transports>
    </migration_features>
  </host>

  <guest>
    <os_type>xen</os_type>
    <arch name='x86_64'>
      <wordsize>64</wordsize>
      <emulator>/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm</emulator>
      <machine>xenpv</machine>
      <domain type='xen'>
      </domain>
    </arch>
  </guest>

  <guest>
    <os_type>xen</os_type>
    <arch name='i686'>
      <wordsize>32</wordsize>
      <emulator>/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm</emulator>
      <machine>xenpv</machine>
      <domain type='xen'>
      </domain>
    </arch>
    <features>
      <pae/>
    </features>
  </guest>

</capabilities>

> My guess is that libvirt did not detect fullvirt xen capability, so
> virt-manager is only providing install options for PV guest (which is URL
> only
> on linux).

The machine which  I am having is a non VT 64 bit machine and I am trying to
create 32 bit guest on it
since hardware is non VT so  I feel it will only have either a 32 bit HVM
guest or PV guest.

virsh version shows me
Compiled against library: libvir 0.7.5
Using library: libvir 0.7.5
Using API: QEMU 0.7.5
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.12.3

On Xen list people told that above is wrong and since the last line should
mention Running Xen and not Qemu,

--
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com