[virt-tools-list] virt-manager 0.8.2 local ISO and PXE boot install option greyed out on 2.6.32.27 pv-ops Dom0 kernel

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 19:33:39 UTC 2011

On 03/07/2011 02:24 PM, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com
> <mailto:crobinso at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/07/2011 02:06 PM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com
>     <mailto:crobinso at redhat.com>
>     > <mailto:crobinso at redhat.com <mailto:crobinso at redhat.com>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On 03/01/2011 03:54 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>     >     > Hi,
>     >     > I just installed a pv-ops Dom0 2.6.32.27 Kernel on a 64 bit non VT
>     machine.
>     >     > Following instructions here
>     >     > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xen4.0
>     >     > for 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04
>     >     >
>     >     > apt-get install bcc bin86 gawk bridge-utils iproute libcurl3
>     >     > libcurl4-openssl-dev bzip2 module-init-tools transfig tgif texinfo
>     >     > texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-recommended texlive-fonts-extra
>     >     > texlive-fonts-recommended pciutils-dev mercurial build-essential make
>     >     > gcc libc6-dev zlib1g-dev python python-dev python-twisted
>     >     > libncurses5-dev patch libvncserver-dev libsdl-dev libjpeg62-dev iasl
>     >     > libbz2-dev e2fslibs-dev git-core uuid-dev ocaml libx11-dev bison flex
>     >     >
>     >     > apt-get install gcc-multilib
>     >     > apt-get install xz-utils
>     >     >
>     >     > make xen
>     >     > make tools
>     >     > make install-xen
>     >     > make install-tools PYTHON_PREFIX_ARG=
>     >     >
>     >     > I did not do make install-stubdom.
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     > It is a Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 amd64 bit version.
>     >     > Then as  mentioned here on this guide
>     >     >
>     >
>     http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/virst-installvirt-manager-at-xen-4-0-rc8-2-6-32-10-pvops-dom0-on-top-ubuntu-karmic-koala-server/
>     >     > (I did not follow the above guide strictly)
>     >     >
>     >     > Commented out (xend-unix-server yes) in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp ,
>     >     > here is my xend-config.sxp
>     >     > http://pastebin.com/M8CfrqBc
>     >     > Then  exported variable  VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI=”xen:///”
>     >     > in root’s .bashrc.
>     >     > Then :-
>     >     > # apt-get install ubuntu-virt-server ubuntu-virt-mgmt
>     >     >
>     >     > Now when I open virt-manager the option to install from Local ISO or
>     >     > PXE are greyed out.
>     >     > virt-manager version is 0.8.2
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     > Let me know if there is any possibility of improvement so that I can
> [...]

Is that a live CD or an full install tree DVD or similar? I'm not that
familiar with ubuntu install media.

virtinst/virt-manager expect a URL to look like:

http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/installer-i386/

(in fact you should be able to use that URL). So if your mounted ISO doesn't
have a directory listing similar to that (with a 'current' directory at least)
virt-manager isn't going to know what to do.

What versions or virtinst and virt-manager are you using?