[virt-tools-list] [RFC 2 of2] adding 802.1Qbg VSI type support to virtinst and virtmanager

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Mar 9 19:52:43 UTC 2011

On 03/08/2011 04:56 AM, Gerhard Stenzel wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 13:46 -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
>>
>> This patch is also line wrapped and does not apply.
>
> this time as attachment

Some general comments:

Does specifying virtualport settings only apply for an interface of
type='direct'? If so, it would be nice to hide the 'Virtual Port' expander for
all other interface types, since I'm guessing 99% of users will never need
this functionality.

Please make the expander look more like the 'Advanced Options' expander for
disk settings. Particularly remove text bolding, indent the entire expander
from the left, increase spacing between the expander and the above info, and
make sure the table has similar spacing between rows and columns.

Does every field need to be shown to the user _and_ editable? For example,
does 'type' need to be editable? How important is the instance id/uuid and
will the user ever have a reason to specify one by hand?

In fact it might be useful if you could provide a few use cases for this
functionality in general, and what all the XML properties mean, since I'm
pretty ignorant here. (in fact, none of this XML seems documented in the
libvirt docs which I would highly recommend remedying :)

Thanks,
Cole