[virt-tools-list] virt-manager, virtinst, virt-viewer moved to git

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Mar 14 20:18:26 UTC 2011

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:12:43PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've converted the repos for virt-manager, virtinst, and virt-viewer to
>> git. You can check them here:
>>
>> virtinst: http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=python-virtinst.git;a=summary
>>
>> virt-manager: http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=virt-manager.git;a=summary
>>
>> virt-viewer: http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=virt-viewer.git;a=summary
>
> One significant problem in the conversion is that all the release
> tags have been lost. We really need to get those back asap.
>
> The commit dates are also completely wrong for quite alot, but not
> all, of the commits. eg, there are many occurrences of
>
>     Date:   Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1970 +0000
>
> in all 3 repos.
>
> I fear the conversion may need to be redone from scratch to fix this
> problem.

Argh, thanks for noticing. Apologies for not doing a more thorough check.

tags were converted correctly, I just wasn't aware a git push --tags was
required.

The date issues seem to be a bug in hg2git fast-import. All the affected
commits have an author delimited with quotation marks, stripping those
before import seems to work. I have correctly converted repos locally,
however fedorahosted prevents git commits that will lose history, so I
can't just blow away the repo in place.

I've filed a ticket with fedora infrastructure to lend me a hand: