[virt-tools-list] Error: No hypervisor options were found for this connection

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 20:38:54 UTC 2011

On 03/09/2011 03:21 PM, Demetri Mouratis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm following the RHEL Virtualization Guide here:
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/index.html
>
> I've installed RHEL 6 and the qemu-kvm package as well as virt-manager.  I'm
> attempting to install a RHEL 6 guest OS.
>
> [root at test ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.0 (Santiago)
>
> [root at test ~]# rpm -q qemu-kvm
> qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.113.el6_0.6.x86_64
>
> [root at test ~]# rpm -q virt-manager
> virt-manager-0.8.4-8.el6.noarch
>
> The system is patched up to date:
>
> [root at test ~]# yum check-update
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin
> [root at test ~]#
>
> The kvm module is loaded:
>
> [root at test ~]# lsmod | grep -i kvm
> kvm                   291875  0
>
> When I invoke virt-manager from the command line as root, then click new to
> create a guest OS, I get a warning/error message that reads:
>
> Error: No hypervisor options were found for this connection.
>
> This usually means qemu or kvm is not installed on your machine.  Please
> insure they are installed as intended.

Like the other responder mentioned, it probably means your KVM modules
aren't loaded.

See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_tips#Ensuring_system_is_KVM_capable

> When I go on to enter a name for the guest in the box, the forward button is
> grayed out.  However, clicking enter takes me to step 2.
>
> There, I am able to navigate to a local ISO but can proceed no further.

That's a bug, 'enter' shouldn't navigate to the next page when the
forward button is disabled. I've fixed that upstream:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=virt-manager.git;a=commit;h=9118f8c4a9164554e2fc60b018fb80b5605e60ff

Thanks for the report.