[virt-tools-list] About the new virt-clone --clone-running option

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 20:45:57 UTC 2011

On 03/14/2011 11:15 AM, Gonzalo Marcote Peña wrote:
> Hi there.
> I have just discovered the new virt-clone --clone-running option in the
> virtinst package 0.500.5 version.
> I am very excited about this option.
> Does it means that i can make one snapshot with one running guest?
> What happens if the guest is writing to the disk?
> Is this snapshot consistent?.

This option is not safe, in fact my intention was to hide it from the
option list since it's really only there to facilitate command line
testing of virt-clone. I've pushed an upstream commit to hide this option:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=python-virtinst.git;a=commit;h=9975f310c572d964060fd2610644225601111477

It doesn't do any of the things you want, it just disabled the check
that throws an error if the guest is running. I recommend you not use
this option.

Cloning using snapshotting is great idea, but we haven't implemented an
option for that yet.

Thanks,
Cole