[virt-tools-list] virt-v2v question involving esx

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 13:43:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 09:38:40AM -0400, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
> Yeah, I'm writing to an NFS server (my RHEV export server).  I'm going
> between two switches that have two fiber pairs bonded together using
> LACP, so I don't think it's a bandwidth issue.  I'm running the
> virt-v2v command from a RHEL 6 vm that is on the same subnet as my NFS
> target.

Can you characterize the bandwidth separately:

 - between ESX (over HTTP) to the guest (not NFS) using wget
 - between the guest and the NFS server
 - seen when using virt-v2v between ESX and guest local disk
 - seen when using virt-v2v between ESX and NFS storage

Also look at the HTTP headers (ie. 'wget -S') to see if it's using
HTTP compression.

Rich.