[virt-tools-list] [Qemu-devel] [fedora-virt] Virt Tools Survey: What to do about virt-clone

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 10 12:58:52 UTC 2011

[Following up to virt-tools-list only]

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 08:45:35AM -0400, Chris Lalancette wrote:
> On 05/10/11 - 12:56:30PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Sysprepping Windows
> > -------------------
> >
> > This is a complex, manual process.  We do some steps to automate it in
> > RHEV.  It's best to read Microsoft's online documentation at
> > [2][3][4].
> >
> >   [3] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577
> >   [4] http://blogs.technet.com/b/megand/archive/2005/01/20/357570.aspx
>
> Note that Oz[1] can do some of this.  There is a side-branch of Oz called
> "win2k8customize" that has some of this sysprepping functionality built-in.
> It's not on master at the moment because it requires something of a hacked-up
> tool called "winexe", but we are in the process of finding a replacement
> for "winexe" at the moment.

Alright, I'm following the code in oz/Windows.py in the
win2k8customize branch of the source.  This all seems reasonable code.

What's the problem with winexe?  Project seems OK ...

Can I propose that _if_ we were to spin this code into a separate
virt-sysprep project, that Oz might use it?  I guess it would probably
need to call out to it as a command line tool, and virt-sysprep should
be written so it can flexibly "sysprep" just about any type of guest OS.

Rich.