[virt-tools-list] Why virsh shutdown does not work?

Bruno Lamps lampss at gmail.com
Fri May 13 11:33:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

As you may have noticed, I'm writing some simple backup scripts to my KVM
vms. Because my production server runs libvirt 0.7.5, I'm not able to use
virsh save, there's some sort of bug that make the VM to not always
shutdown.
So I do my backups shuting down the systems and then copying que raw image
and the .xml file. To do so, I run "virsh shutdown VMname". For some reason,
it doesn't works all the time, so my script currently waits 10 mintues to
run "virsh destroy VMname", to be sure that the VM isn't running and then
copy it's files.

Why "virsh shutdown" isn't working for me everytime? Is there any VM log
where I can discover the reason? =]
Can "virsh destroy" damage VMs easily?

Thanks in advance,

-----