[virt-tools-list] virt-manager over SSH and firewall

Ruzsinszky Attila ruzsinszky.attila at gmail.com
Tue May 31 20:12:10 UTC 2011

Hi,

My topology is easy but a little bit complicated:

Client-Firwall-KVM host.

I can connect to host with double SSH with my key (agent forwarding).
I can see virt-manager over X11Forwarding but it complains:

Unable to open connection to hypervisor URI 'qemu+ssh:///system':
cannot recv data: A kapcsolatot bontotta a távoli fél
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 896,
in _try_open
    None], flags)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 111, in openAuth
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
libvirtError: cannot recv data: A kapcsolatot bontotta a távoli fél

Maybe you need to install ssh-askpass in order to authenticate.

Question:

1. What is the right parameter for KVM host if the hostname is M1?
I used virt-manager -c qemu+ssh:///system. It is for localhost, isn't it?
I've got a 2nd KVM host. Can I manage it from the same virt-manager?

2. I don't copy my public key to root because of two things:
- double SSH and agent forwarding
- X11forwarding.
Can I solve this situation somehow?

TIA,