[virt-tools-list] [Qemu-devel] Virt Tools Survey: What to do about virt-clone

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue May 10 14:35:37 UTC 2011

   Hi,

> (a) Is cloning guests useful for you or not?  Often or infrequently?

I'm almost never do that.

Usually I use qcow2 copy-on-write images for testing, so I can easily
rollback stuff by just zapping and re-creating the copy-on-write image.

When I need a fresh VM I install one.  Have kickstart in place for
RHEL/Fedora guests.  Also a custom windows xp install cd which
autoinstalls via unattended.txt, so I don't have to babysit the
installs.  Includes sp3 and some extra drivers (e1000, virtio-net, ...) too.

cheers,
   Gerd