[virt-tools-list] virt-v2v rhev import error

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Mon Nov 28 09:34:06 UTC 2011

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 08:03:15PM +0000, Wandell, Doug wrote:
>> Image is a prebuilt VMWare image from Layer7.  Downloaded and converted under RHEL6 like this:
>>
>> virt-convert --arch=x86_64 SSG_64bit_VirtualAppliance_v6.1/ SSG_64bit_VirtualAppliance_v6.1.xml
>> qemu-img convert -O qcow2 SSG_64bit_VirtualAppliance_v6.1.raw SSG_64bit_VirtualAppliance_v6.1.qcow2
>>
>> No problem.  I then manually created an xml definition for libvirt and defined it.  Machine boots and runs fine.  However, when I go to import into RHEV, I get the following.  Note there appear to be 4 different errors here, so i'm not sure where to start:
>>

>> root at rhel6host>virt-v2v -i libvirtxml -o rhev -osd our-netapp:/vol/virt_kvm/import-data layer7box.xml
>> SSG_64bit_VirtualAppliance_v6.1.qcow2:

<snip>

>> find: failed to restore initial working directory: Permission denied

^^^ This is fixed. Certainly in RHEL 6.2, possibly even before that. I
don't think it's causing your problem, though.

>> Using CPU model "cpu64-rhel6"
>> unknown filesystem label SWAP-sda5

^^^ This is a warning which can be ignored. It has gone away in recent
libguestfs.

>> Error running rpm -qa: command_lines: command_lines: rpm: No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Sys/VirtV2V/GuestfsHandle.pm line 188.
>> at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Sys/Guestfs/Lib.pm line 1022
>> virt-v2v: Unable to find any valid modprobe configuration

^^^ These errors both almost certainly have the same underlying cause:
libguestfs inspection didn't mount the various filesystems properly.

>> Not sure where to start here.  Thanks,
>
> This isn't the right list for virt-v2v questions.  That would be
> libguestfs at redhat.com.
>
> However the larger problem here is that doing offline conversions like
> this isn't the way to use virt-v2v.  Virt-v2v needs to connect to the
> ESX server, and won't work in any other configuration.

As Rich says, connecting directly to the ESX server is by far the best
way to do this conversion.

If possible, could you also please use the about-to-be-released virt-v2v
from RHEL 6.2. You should find it in the beta channel for the moment. As
always, it contains a large number of fixes. If that doesn't help, could
you please send a description of the problem, and the output of your
conversion run with LIBGUESTFS_TRACE=1 to libguestfs at redhat.com?

Thanks,

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490