[virt-tools-list] virt-install not rebooting guest after install

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Nov 28 22:44:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 02:41:45PM -0800, Micheal Waltz wrote:
> On 11/28/2011 01:36 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >All you would have to do is watch to see
> >when the guest has shutdown, and then virsh start it again. Thus
> >you could parallelize things fairly easily.
>
> I was able to use --wait=-1 in combination with subshells to have
> the install reboot successfully. This was hit-and-miss though where
> some domains would work and others would give the error:
>
> ERROR    cannot send monitor command '{"execute":"query-balloon"}':
> Connection reset by peer

FWIW, that error messages shows that QEMU has crashed / abnormally
terminated the libvirt monitor command. If you're lucky you can
find further info in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$GUEST.log which might
indicate what the problem was. Otherwise you'd need to try and
capture a coredump to debug it further.

> Domain installation does not appear to have been successful.
> If it was, you can restart your domain by running:
>   virsh --connect qemu:///system start rhel-56-x86-64-gvbp
>
> I am no longer using --wait and monitor virsh domstate like you
> suggested. Now it's paralleled and fully automated.

Daniel