[virt-tools-list] export guest configuration

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Oct 26 12:53:45 UTC 2011

On 10/26/2011 08:44 AM, Wiesel82 at gmx.ch wrote:
> Hi all,
> i manage my xen guests with virt-manager. I install and clone guests with
> virt-manager and virt-install. Now i would like to export the guest
> configurations. If the system will crash completely and the system need to
> reinstall. How can i recover all my guest configurations?
>
> Is it enough to save .gconf/apps/virt-manager or how can i get all my guests
> configurations back after a crash?
> XM normally save the configurations in /etc/xen/vm/. But in virt-manager i
> don't find a option to export configurations to a file or a option where
> config files will be saved.

You want to use 'virsh dumpxml' to get the guest configuration. Try

To see your VMs try:
virsh --connect xen:/// list --all

Then pass those names to
virsh --connect xen:/// dumpxml $vmname

You'll also need to copy the disk images. The paths for those are shown in the
virt-manager VM details section.