[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo 1/2] Create udev rules dir before installing rules file

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 11:54:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 02:43:53PM +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Daniel P. Berrange
> <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 08:46:25AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > This means that if someone does ./configure --prefix=/usr then they will
> > get the udev rules in the correct place, but if they do something like
> > ./configure --prefix=/home/berrange/libosinfo, they will get the udev
> > rules in /home/berrange/libosinfo/lib/udev/rules.d, and they can also
> > use ./configure --with-udev-rulesdir=/some/where/else if they really
> > want to
>
>    Two things:
>
> 1. Why would anyone want the udev rule to go anywhere else? It just
> won't work if user installs it anywhere other than standard locations.

I don't really see that as a problem. If the user installs into a
custom directory, they presumably know what they're doing. In any
case you could also configure udev to look in your alternative
locations.

> 2. User having write permission to '/usr' doesn't necessarily mean
> she/he has the same permissions for '/lib'.

In theory that could be a problem, but in practice I don't think it
really is.

Regards,
Daniel