[virt-tools-list] Remote Install Help

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Sep 18 09:47:57 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 06:31:58PM +0100, James Bensley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I bet this has been asked a hundred times but I cant find the answer;
>
> I'm trying to install remotely via SSH a guest without an X session,
> only with SSH. The host is running X but its just a dev box, when
> these guests go live they will be migrated to a host without X so I'm
> trying to learn on the dev box who do install guests without X in the
> first place.
>
> After some man page reading and Googling I have come up with this command;
> virt-install --name debian --ram 1024 --vcpus 2 --check-cpu
> --nographics --cdrom /dev/sr0 --disk debdisk --nographics -x
> console=ttyS0,115200 --force --prompt
>
> But I keep getting nowhere;
> Starting install...
> Creating domain...                                                 0 B 00:00
> Connected to domain debian_node
> Escape character is ^]
>

> The host hangs there indefinably, have I missed some stupidly newbish?

That ought to be connecting to the guest's serial console.

However I think the problem could be that '-x' is not compatible with
CD-ROM booting, so that kernel command line argument goes nowhere, so
the kernel never sends anything to the serial port.

You could try using 'virt-dmesg' to see what the guest kernel is
really doing and what command line it sees.

Rich.