[virt-tools-list] virt-manager and iSCSI

Alan McKay alan.mckay+virt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 17:57:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:

> A pool is like a directory (in fact, you can make a pool that wraps a
> directory, if you are using files on a file system instead of LUNs in an
> iSCSI setup).  A storage volume is the space that can hold a single disk
> image (in a directory-based storage pool, each storage volume is a file;
> in an iSCSI setup, each LUN is a a storage volume).
>
> You can't have a storage volume without also having a storage pool to
> hold the volume.  So you need XML for both.

OK, I have been sort of getting that far in my reading but I still don't
know how to make the XML file for my disk :-)

Or, maybe I had it right the first time and my problem is elsewhere.

In short I have this :
[root at solexa1 xen]# iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p zfs1
192.168.160.250:3260,2
iqn.1986-03.com.sun:02:44ed42e5-747b-eb6c-9273-9cebdd051c64
192.168.160.250:3260,2
iqn.1986-03.com.sun:02:f4f32db3-53b1-422c-c979-c568b1e6227b

Those are 2 disks (iSCSI targets, I guess you would say) on my ZFS server.
 The first one is the one I set up a month or so ago and have been using on
a VBox VM since then.  On a different physical machine.

The 2nd one I just set up now to test this with virt-manager

I had created this XML file and used the instructions from Daniel's website
to get virt-manager to see it.

<pool type='iscsi'>
    <name>ZFS1</name>
    <source>
        <host name='ZFS1'/>
        <device
path='iqn.1986-03.com.sun:02:44ed42e5-747b-eb6c-9273-9cebdd051c64'/>
    </source>
    <target>
        <path>/dev/disk/by-path</path>
    </target>
</pool>

But the disk could not be read for whatever reason.  That is the problem I
am trying to solve.

So in the meantime I destroyed that pool.   But I'm guessing now if I make
a new XML file with two different <source> declarations I can probably add
both disks to the pool, right?  And see them both.

I'll try that now and then mount and use my new test desk and try a fresh
install of Ubuntu to see what happens.