[virt-tools-list] iSCSI disk goes missing after domU installation

Alan McKay alan.mckay+virt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:56:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <
konrad.wilk at oracle.com> wrote:

> And do 'xm console <guest>", and run 'vncviewer localhost:0'
> and in the GRUB entry add this to your Linux stanza:

So I'm a bit confused here.  Do you mean change the way I boot from the
live CD because if it is not finding my hard drive how is it going to find
the grub entries on the HD?

> "console=ttyS0,115200 debug loglevel=8 initcall_debug"

So I'm just not sure where to add this.   I think I found how to do it in
new grub but then it struck me that it was not finding the HD anyway so
changing it there did not seem to make sense.

And that leads me to another question about the xen / virt-manager combo -
I don't see any way with this to get into BIOS settings for the VM.   And
when I start the VM either from the HD or the CD there does not seem to be
any way to interact with the BIOS.  When trying to boot from the HD it just
jumps up immediately adn says it is not found.

> That will pipe your guest output to 'xm console'. From there it should
> be possible to figure out why the disks aren't seen.

My config file already said "serial=pty" and when I do the xm command to
view the console when the VM boots, I get nothing.

> Oh wait, you are using 'virt install' do this right? Then to
> get that .xm file, do something like this:

Yes, I did create it like that.  So now where is the definitive config
stored?   I have a file /etc/xen/UbuntuServerS1 which has my config, but I
can also dump the XML as you suggested.   So which one is being used when I
boot?  Just so I know where to change it.

> Here is what my config file looks like - I added a couple of the VNC
related directives after your last email, but I am not using VNC to view
the console.  I'm using the console tab in virt-manager.

name = "UbuntuServerS1"
uuid = "dcc3a34e-b9d2-4b63-b169-cfa9213330e0"
maxmem = 4096
memory = 4096
vcpus = 2
builder = "hvm"
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
boot = "cc"
pae = 1
acpi = 1
apic = 1
localtime = 0
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "destroy"
on_crash = "destroy"
device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
sdl = 0
vnc = 1
vncunused = 1
vnclisten = "0.0.0.0"
keymap = "en-us"
disk = [
"phy:/dev/disk/by-path/ip-192.168.160.250:3260-iscsi-iqn.1986-03.com.sun:02:f4f32db3-53b1-422c-c979-c568b1e6227b-lun-1,hda,w",
"file:/data/iso/ubuntu-12.04-beta2-desktop-amd64.iso,hdc:cdrom,r" ]
vif = [
"mac=00:16:3e:20:95:39,bridge=xenbr1,script=vif-bridge,vifname=vif61.0",
"mac=00:16:3e:4e:92:c4,bridge=xenbr0,script=vif-bridge,vifname=vif61.1" ]
parallel = "none"
serial = "pty"