[virt-tools-list] iSCSI disk goes missing after domU installation

Alan McKay alan.mckay+virt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 15:58:13 UTC 2012

Hey folks,

I posted this to the xen list and am not getting much response so figure
I'd try here too.   I finally got my NICs working (Ubuntu bug) and now I'm
having another issue.

dom0 is RHEL5.8

[root at solexa1 xen]# rpm -qa | grep -i xen
xen-3.0.3-135.el5_8.2
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-128.el5
xen-libs-3.0.3-135.el5_8.2
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-308.1.1.el5
kernel-xen-2.6.18-128.el5
xen-libs-3.0.3-135.el5_8.2
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-274.12.1.el5
kernel-xen-2.6.18-274.12.1.el5
kernel-xen-2.6.18-308.1.1.el5
[root at solexa1 xen]# uname -a
Linux solexa1 2.6.18-274.12.1.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Nov 8 21:46:04 EST 2011
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I tried this with both CentOS 5.8 and Ubuntu 12.04 (beta2) installs in domU
and same behavior.

Use virt-manager to create my VM.  I had previously used the virsh
commands to create an iSCSI pool (I think that is the right term) and
so my iSCSI disk shows up fine in virt-manager and I can add it to the
VM.

The install goes well the disk is there - I can either choose to
partition it manually or let it go automatic.  During the install from
the Ubuntu live CD I can open a shell and see the disk mounted and
stuff being installed to it.

After the install I can reboot from the Ubuntu live CD and I see the
iSCSI disk there.  I can mount stuff and look at it - looks like the
install went fine.

But I reboot and try to boot from the HD and it says :

Boot from Hard Disk failed: could not read the boot disk
FATAL: No bootable device

What's up with that?

thanks,
-Alan