[virt-tools-list] Recent changes to libvirt makes virt-manager unusable - can I revert to using ssh keys / just typing pass in once?

Morgan Cox morgancoxuk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:18:47 UTC 2012

Hi.

I am having major usability issues after recent updates of (I believe)
the blame lies in libvirt updates....

Previously I just setup a new connection using virt-manager - I
entered the root password - I used to connect then actually was able
to use virt-manager.

Now... I'm having major issues.

In openSUSE (for example) virt-manager is completely broken - even
though I enter username 'root' it ALWAYS connects as my username - so
i can no longer use virt-manager at all with that OS.

To make things worse  in KDE (this also happens in arch) I have a grey
dialogue box that you CANNOT!! paste the password in - I have to type
it out (like its windows or something..)

To see what I mean see :-

http://imgur.com/FOSvq

So opensuse (kde) is completely broken - Arch linux involves typing a
24 char pass in (instead of pasting) - and worse : I have to keep
!!TYPING!! the password in each time I do anything - i.e enter a VM  -
so its really not usable .

Say I want to connect and enter 4 vm's - thats 5 times I have to enter
the password - WHY ??????

As a workaround i changed the root pass to a simple (short) password
everytime I use virt-manager - so its a crappy workaround.

In Debian (gnome2) I use the backports version of libvirt and the same
thing occurs - although that's slightly better as I can paste the pass
in that dialogue box - although (again) I have to type (or paste) the
pass in each time I do anything.

I used to just use the SSH key to connect - why the hell can't i now ?

Sorry for the tone of this email but virt-manager used to work 100%
fine and now its pretty much broken.

How can I make it work like it used to ? (Or is downgrading the only way ?)

I do not want to put the pass in every single time I do anything.

How can I configure it to connect via SSH key (as i used to?)

Regards