[virt-tools-list] Possible bug, problem with virt-sparsify image format detection

Paul Maunders paul at fubra.com
Tue Aug 28 20:07:23 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've found an issue with virt-sparsify on Centos 6.3 with it's image
format detection. If I take a qcow2 image and attempt to sparsify it
with...

    virt-sparsify -v centos6.3-gold.img centos6.3-gold.img-sparsified

... it creates a raw file as it's output rather than a qcow2 file. In
the man page it says that the format should be preserved. In the log I
can see:

    qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O 'raw' '/tmp/sparsifycfbc31.qcow2'
'centos6.3-gold.img-sparsified'

However, if I manually set the input format and output format then it
works fine....

    virt-sparsify -v --format qcow2 --convert qcow2 centos6.3-gold.img
centos6.3-gold.img-sparsified

In the log I get:

    qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O 'qcow2' '/tmp/sparsify2e15e4.qcow2'
'centos6.3-gold.img-sparsified'

I have version 1.16.19-1 of libguestfs-tools installed. I have also
tried on an Ubuntu system running an older version of the tools, and
it doesn't seem to have this problem.

Regards,

Paul Maunders