[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo 5/8] Add osinfo_db_identify_media

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 14:16:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 03:50:40PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Christophe Fergeau
> <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> > "if they are *really* needed". As we can't remove functions once they get
> > into a release, I'd rather that we live without these functions for now,
> > and see how different apps use the OsinfoMedia class,
>
> There is no need to see. I already gave you example of one app
> (actually there is no other user app ATM that I know of) that will
> make use of the API I'm proposing.

I've put an emphasis on the 'really' for a reason. Boxes can do with the
API I'm adding without any issues.

> If you could give me one reason why apps will want to make two calls
> while they can make just one, I might get convinced.

This is not about apps, this is about libosinfo providing APIs that makes
sense, rather than having libosinfo grow various overlapping APIs because
this is more convenient for X, Y or Z.
You are suggesting merging OsinfoMedia creation (ie
osinfo_media_create_from_location) with media identification
(osinfo_db_identify_media). What if we have users who want to identify a
media that does not have an associated location? I can see a need for
an osinfo_media_create_from_udev for example.
So at this point I'd rather we go with separate calls until we figure out
from application usage whether it makes sense or not to merge them.

Christophe