[virt-tools-list] issues building virt-viewer

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 13:19:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 03:59:29PM -0200, Leonardo Augusto Guimarães Garcia wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to virt-viewer and I've been trying to build it using the
> autobuild.sh script from the git repository. However, the build
> process is not working as some warnings are being hit during the
> source code compilation and there is a specific flag being passed to
> autogen.sh to --enable-compile-warnings=error.
>
> For the moment I just removed the flag and I was able to build
> virt-viewer. But I was wondering whether this is the correct way of
> building or if there are different instructions to build
> virt-viewer.

In general terms, upstream developers should enable compiler warnings,
so they don't add buggy new code.  Downstream packagers should disable
compiler warnings because -Werror can break builds unnecessarily
(extra marks for packagers who enable compiler warnings and fix the
problems however!)

Since you used the version from git, it's implicit that you're an
upstream developer.  Packagers would normally compile from the
tarballs using ./configure && make.

So anyhow if you don't want compiler warnings, feel free to disable
that switch.  But if you are planning to submit patches it's important
that the new code doesn't contain any problems that could have been
fixed by paying attention to the compiler warnings.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top