[virt-tools-list] virt-viewer over ssh not connecting to localhost

Marc Haber mh+virt-tools-list at zugschlus.de
Mon Dec 31 18:34:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

when invoke virt-viewer 0.5.4 over ssh with the command line
virt-viewer --connect=qemu+ssh://kvm-host/system <domain>
virt-viewer calls nc over ssh as
ssh kvm-host nc kvm-host 5900
which makes nc, in a regular setup, use kvm-host's IP address to
connect to the locally running spice agent.

This clashs with virt-manager's default setting of having the Spice
agent listen in 127.0.0.1 only.

While this can be remedied by telling virt-manager's option to have
the Spice agent listen on all IP addresses, but this exposes the Spice
agent to the network, making a packet filter necessary.

Is is possible to have virt-viewer call ssh kvm-host nc localhost
5900, connecting to 127.0.0.1?

If that is not possible, I'd like to have this on file as a wishlist
item for one of virt-viewer's future versions. According to the
virt-viewer man page, this list is the proper medium for bug reports
against virt-viewer, is this still the case?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc