[virt-tools-list] Plan for removing virtinst as a public API

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 23:52:40 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'd like to remove virtinst as a public API, and make it private code shared
by virt-manager and virt-{install,clone,image,convert}.

virtinst really never should have been a library, it's historically not well
thought out or stable, and really using the command line tools is a much more
stable API. Longer term there are C libraries built around libvirt and gobject
that are being developed which will fill the role of virtinst in a much more
API friendly way. Privatizing this code will also allow us to clean house a
lot, including hopefully merging virt-manager and virtinst into the same repo,
so we don't have the annoying lockstep upgrade problem for developers.

There aren't many API users that I know of: aside from virt-*, there are
pieces of cobbler and koji, which I'm in the process of patching.

Ideally I'd like to cut a release at the end of the month which drops virtinst
as a public API and possibly merges the two repos.

Any comments or thoughts?

Thanks,
Cole