[virt-tools-list] [patch] move man pages to standard /usr/local/man location

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 18:30:55 UTC 2012

On 02/20/2012 10:50 AM, Jason Helfman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:35:43PM -0500, Cole Robinson thus spake:
>> On 02/15/2012 08:22 PM, Jason Helfman wrote:
>>> Here is a patch I have to move man installation away from share. Please
>>> consider.
>>>

>> Hmm, at least fedora packages install man pages to /usr/share/man/ .
>> Debian
>> packages install virtinst man pages similarly at least. What host OS
>> are you
>> using?
>>
>> - Cole
>>

> FreeBSD. Maybe it is different, but I thought that man pages should be
> installed to /usr/local for software.

BSD probably does use a different default hierarchy than GNU/Linux (I
haven't actually checked).  But this should be fine-tunable at
configuration time, using things like ./configure --mandir=...
That is, I think that configure should already just work for your
situation, if you are using the options correctly: rather than having to
patch upstream to be aware of every different distro's conventions,
upstream should just be flexible enough that every single distro can
customize things to match their own conventions during configure.