[virt-tools-list] [patch] move man pages to standard /usr/local/man location

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Mon Feb 20 18:38:08 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:30:55AM -0700, Eric Blake thus spake:
>On 02/20/2012 10:50 AM, Jason Helfman wrote:
>>>>

>>> Hmm, at least fedora packages install man pages to /usr/share/man/ .
>>> Debian
>>> packages install virtinst man pages similarly at least. What host OS
>>> are you
>>> using?
>>>
>>> - Cole
>>>

>> FreeBSD. Maybe it is different, but I thought that man pages should be
>> installed to /usr/local for software.
>
>BSD probably does use a different default hierarchy than GNU/Linux (I
>haven't actually checked).  But this should be fine-tunable at
>configuration time, using things like ./configure --mandir=...
>That is, I think that configure should already just work for your
>situation, if you are using the options correctly: rather than having to
>patch upstream to be aware of every different distro's conventions,
>upstream should just be flexible enough that every single distro can
>customize things to match their own conventions during configure.

I would do that, however there is no such option for virtinst for this.
It appears to be hardcoded in setup.py.

Is there an option I can pass to python config to get it to install to a
different directory for man pages?

-jgh

--
Jason Helfman